February 19, 2026 08:23 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
North Korea
Pixabay

US: Hacker shuts N Korea's internet in revenge

| @indiablooms | Feb 04, 2022, at 02:33 pm

Washington/UNI: An American youth who was once hacked by North Korean spies, took his revenge by taking down the country's internet connectivity single-handedly.

The hacker, who goes by the handle P4x, was a victim of a hacking campaign last year targeting Western security researchers.

However, he had managed to prevent hackers from getting anything of value from him.

After waiting for a year to see a visible response by the US government against North Korea's strike, P4x decided to give Pyongyang a dose of their own medicine. 

"It felt like the right thing to do here. If they don't see we have teeth, it's just going to keep coming," Wired quoted him as saying. "I want them to understand that if you come at us, it means some of your infrastructure is going down for a while." 

The hacker had refused to reveal his name over fear of prosecution or retaliation. P4x said he found several known but unpatched vulnerabilities in North Korean systems that have allowed him to single-handedly launch "denial-of-service" attacks on the servers and routers the country's few internet-connected networks depend on, Wired reported. Since then, he has kept a periodical check on the progress of the programs he was running to disrupt the internet of entire North Korea. 

According to P4x, he intends to continue to annoy the North Korean regime but not the population who lacks internet access. 

"I definitely wanted to affect the people as little as possible and the government as much as possible," P4x said, adding that his attacks were similar to "tearing down government banners or defacing buildings". 

About his future plans in taking revenge against the regime, he told Wired that how would not try to actually hack into North Korean systems to steal information and share it with experts. 

He also plans to recruit more hacktivists to his cause with a dark website, which he launched on January 31, called the FUNK Project — "FU North Korea".

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.