February 20, 2026 03:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Pixabay

US reaches troops reduction target of 8,600 in Afghanistan: U.S. general

| @indiablooms | Jun 19, 2020, at 09:03 am

Washinton/Xinhua:  The United States has reduced its troops level to 8,600 in Afghanistan, fulfilling its first phased pullout obligation under the U.S.-Taliban deal, a U.S. general said on Thursday.

Commander of U.S. Central Command Kenneth McKenzie said at an event that the United States had met its part of the agreement. "We agreed to go to the mid-8,000 range within 135 days," McKenzie said. "We're at that number now."

According to the agreement signed late February between the United States and the Taliban, the United States would reduce its forces in Afghanistan to 8,600 within 135 days, which is mid-July.

The agreement also called for the full withdrawal of the U.S. military from the country by May 2021 if the Taliban meets the conditions of the deal, including severing ties with terrorist groups.

McKenzie called the full withdrawal an "aspirational" commitment, but also conditional. "Conditions would have to be met that satisfy us that attacks against our homeland are not going to be generated from Afghanistan," he said.

Reports are saying that the U.S. administration is looking at a range of options to withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan at an early date, with one possible option targeting this November, when the presidential election is scheduled.

While denying setting a target date, President Donald Trump said last month that he expected a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan "as soon as reasonable."

Trump reaffirmed this notion during his remarks to graduates of the United States Military Academy over the weekend. "We are ending the era of endless wars ... we are not the policemen of the world," he said.

The war in Afghanistan is the longest one in U.S. history. The death toll of U.S. service members has surpassed 2,400 since the country invaded Afghanistan in 2001.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.