February 18, 2026 12:58 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
US
Image Credit: Videograb from Twitter

US shoots down suspected Chinese spy balloon off Carolina coast

| @indiablooms | Feb 05, 2023, at 03:20 pm

Washington DC/IBNS: The United States Saturday shot down a suspected Chinese spy balloon off the country's east coast, the Pentagon said.

Earlier this week, the US had claimed that the balloon was spying on sensitive military sites across North America.

"Today's deliberate and lawful action demonstrates that President (Joe) Biden and his national security team will always put the safety and security of the American people first while responding effectively to the PRC's unacceptable violation of our sovereignty," Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said in a statement.

Footage on local media showed a small explosion, which was followed by the balloon descending toward the water.

The operation was planned in a manner that all the debris falls into the ocean. Ships had been deployed to recover as much of the debris as possible.

The US government was trying to track the suspected Chinese high-altitude surveillance balloon.

Hours before the balloon was shot down, US President Joe Biden had vowed to "take care" of the balloon.

In a statement, Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder had said: "The United States Government has detected and is tracking a high altitude surveillance balloon that is over the continental United States right now."

"The U.S. government, to include NORAD, continues to track and monitor it closely. The balloon is currently traveling at an altitude well above commercial air traffic and does not present a military or physical threat to people on the ground. Instances of this kind of balloon activity have been observed previously over the past several years," the spokesperson had said.

Asked by reporters to comment on relations with China and the balloon incident, Biden told reporters, "We're gonna take care of it."

The balloon was initially detected entering US airspace on January 28. The white orb lingered over Montana, the site of intercontinental-ballistic-missile silos, and made its way across the country to North Carolina on Saturday.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.