February 18, 2026 03:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
US H-1B
US tightens social media rules. Photo: Unsplash

The US State Department’s newly expanded social media vetting policy has triggered widespread disruptions, with visa interview appointments for several Indian H-1B applicants now being postponed to 2026.

The US Embassy in India issued an advisory on X stating, “If you have received an email advising that your visa appointment has been rescheduled, Mission India looks forward to assisting you on your new appointment date.” The Embassy further warned that applicants who arrive on their previously scheduled interview date will not be permitted to enter the Embassy or Consulate premises.

“Arriving on your previously scheduled appointment date will result in your being denied admittance to the Embassy or Consulate,” the post said.

Officials have not disclosed the exact number of interviews that have been rescheduled.

The US State Department announced that from December 15, it will expand mandatory online presence reviews to include all H-1B applicants and their dependents (H-4), in addition to the students and exchange visitors who are already subject to this scrutiny under the F, M, and J visa categories.

To facilitate the enhanced vetting process, all applicants under these visa categories have been instructed to change the privacy settings of all their social media profiles to “public.”

The State Department said it uses all available information in visa screening to identify applicants who may be inadmissible to the United States, including those who pose a potential threat to national security or public safety.

“Every visa adjudication is a national security decision,” the department reiterated.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.