May 23, 2026 03:27 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial

Italy suspects coronavirus in 12 hospitalized Chinese nationals

| @indiablooms | Feb 01, 2020, at 09:32 am

Rome/Sputnik/UNI: A dozen Chinese citizens who have been hospitalized with the primary symptoms of coronavirus are being tested for the infection by experts of Italy's Lazzaro Spallanzani National Institute for Infectious Diseases, Emanuele Nicastri, an infectious disease specialist from the Institute, said on Friday.

Earlier in the day, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte confirmed the first two cases of the new strain of the virus in his country.

"Spallanzani hospitalized 12 other patients with similar symptoms from other regions of China. They are being tested for coronavirus," Nicastri said at a press conference in Rome.

According to the doctor, 20 people who may have been in contact with the two Chinese nationals who were previously confirmed as being infected with the disease are currently under observation in the hospital.

The outbreak began in late December in the central Chinese province of Hubei. Its capital, Wuhan, has since been quarantined along with several other cities that China's authorities deem as hotbeds of infection. Other nations are arranging charter flights to evacuate their nationals, and the number of those that limit arrivals from China continues to grow.

The current toll of lethal cases stands at 213 — all in China — and over 9,800 people have been infected in the Asian country.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.